Duration

Is there a way to see when the duration has gone up from the original duration put into a project plan other than view cell history and can go into a report?

Answers

• SueinSpain
    SueinSpain ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know the answer on this one but some thoughts for discussion......

You can use the highlighter and set to "when I last viewed "

More likely is in Gantt View - use the baseline icon far right to baseline your project and it then tracks changes against this.

Hope this helps as haven't used it much myself but Project Manager has a bit.

Good luck

Sue

Sue Rogers

AmerisourceBergen - MWI Animal Health

Business Analyst

• Hi Sue

Thanks for coming back, yes I already have baseline on, unfortunately on baseline it doesn't show the task duration that has gone up, it just shows the overall delay to the project timelines

Thanks again

Amanda

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    edited 06/14/23

Hi @Amanda O

What I would do here is create my own column sort of how the Baseline columns are created, where you copy the original Duration when the plan is first set up.

You could use a formula to remove the text associated with the number in a helper column:

=VALUE(Duration@row + "")

Then you'd need to copy/paste those numbers somewhere else and then back again so it's a static number.

I usually past it into one cell, then take the content of the cell to turn it into the column again:

Now it's a static number column with the number of days:

Another option of course would be to create a Duration from the Baseline Date Columns using NETWORKDAYS if you prefer.

Once you have this, you can compare the Live duration column to your Original Duration column using another formula:

=VALUE(Duration@row + "") - [Original Duration]@row

Then you can surface that column in a Report!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Hollie Green
    Hollie Green ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Amanda O If your baseline is turned on it should also show the row that went up as well in both grid view and gantt view.

In the example above my 1 task lost 6 days but has not yet impacted my overall project.

• That's a great point, @Hollie Green!

But this variance could also show that the entire task adjusted (e.g. a 1 day task was moved 6 days later in the project) versus a duration being extended, if that makes sense.

• HI Genevieve

Thanks for your response and I understand what you are saying, however I want to look at existing plans rather than new plans, unfortunately we have 200+ project plans that I would need to create the Original Duration column in!

I haven't used NETWORKDAYS before, sorry how does that work?

Thanks

Amanda

• Hey @Amanda O

In this case, you can get the duration of the Baseline Dates with a formula like this:

=NETWORKDAYS([Baseline Start]@row, [Baseline Finish]@row)

Here's more information: NETWORKDAYS Function

Cheers,

Genevieve