Checking for Duplicates and then Checking for the highest ID Code.

Hi there!

We use Smart Sheet for tracking multiple components of our department. On one sheet, I want a formula to check for duplicate names and then look at the ID Code Column and I want a box to be checked for any ID Code that isn't the highest of the duplicates.

I have gotten the first part of the formula to work. I have a column where the box is checked if there is a duplicate name. I use the formula below:

=IF(COUNTIF([Contractor Name]:[Contractor Name], [Contractor Name]@row) > 1, 1, 0)

I can't get the second part of the formula to work in where it then looks at the ID Code and does not check the box for the highest ID Code.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You will need a helper column that pulls in the highest id code for the name on each row.

=MAX(COLLECT([ID Code]:[ID Code], [Contractor Name]:[Contractor Name], @cell = [Contractor Name]@row))

Then the flag formula would look something like this:

=IF([ID Code]@row< [Helper Column]@row, 1)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!