Formula to filter for active rows

jspark
jspark ✭✭✭
edited 06/15/23 in Formulas and Functions

I am using a sheet to track many different projects, some of which have milestone subrows, some which do not. I want to be able to filter out projects that have been fully completed (either no child rows and status = completed OR all child rows = completed and parent status = completed) but show the milestone subrows for projects that are ongoing regardless of the subrow's status.

I cannot use the sheet filter function since you cannot have both and + or conditions. Instead, I am trying to create a helper column to evaluate if a row is "active".

I want to have the following rows marked as ACTIVE:

If it is a row with Child Rows = 0 and Status = "In Progress" or "Preparing"

If is a row with an ancestor and the ANCESTOR's Status = "In Progress" or "Preparing"

marked as INACTIVE:

If it is a row with Child Rows = 0 and Status = "Paused" or "Cancelled"

If it is a row with an ancestor and the ANCESTOR's Status = "Paused" or "Cancelled"

marked as COMPLETED:

If it is a row with Child Rows = 0 and Status = "Completed"

If is a row with an ancestor and the ANCESTOR's Status = "Completed"

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    Answer ✓

Hi @jspark

Ah yes of course! My apologies, try adding this statement in:

=IF(OR(Status@row = "Cancelled", Status@row = "Paused", PARENT(Status@row) = "Cancelled", PARENT(Status@row) = "Paused"), "Inactive", IF(OR(AND(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, Status@row = "Completed"), PARENT(Status@row) = "Completed"), "Completed", "Active"))

This will only say "Completed" when the current row says "Completed" IF it has Child Rows. Otherwise it will check the Parent row value for Completed.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Answers

• Genevieve P.

Hi @jspark

If we start with your second two instructions it will be a bit more simple to write - then anything leftover is "Active".

Try this:

=IF(OR(Status@row = "Cancelled", Status@row = "Paused", PARENT(Status@row) = "Cancelled", PARENT(Status@row) = "Paused"), "Inactive", IF(OR(Status@row = "Completed", PARENT(Status@row) = "Completed"), "Completed", "Active"))

Let us know if that gives you the correct label for all of your rows! If not, it would be helpful to see a screen capture of your sheet with the hierarchy and statuses, identifying what rows have the wrong active label (but please block out sensitive data).

Cheers,

Genevieve

• jspark
    jspark ✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you! It works other than for the child rows that are completed but under an active parent. They should be active but are currently showing up as completed.

• Genevieve P.
    Answer ✓

Hi @jspark

Ah yes of course! My apologies, try adding this statement in:

=IF(OR(Status@row = "Cancelled", Status@row = "Paused", PARENT(Status@row) = "Cancelled", PARENT(Status@row) = "Paused"), "Inactive", IF(OR(AND(COUNT(CHILDREN()) > 0, Status@row = "Completed"), PARENT(Status@row) = "Completed"), "Completed", "Active"))

This will only say "Completed" when the current row says "Completed" IF it has Child Rows. Otherwise it will check the Parent row value for Completed.

Cheers,

Genevieve

• jspark
    jspark ✭✭✭

That's perfect, thank you @Genevieve P.!

• jspark
    jspark ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. Sorry, I spoke too soon.

Rows with no children that are Status "Completed" are being marked as "Active" rather than "Completed." The rows with children seem to be categorized correctly.

• Genevieve P.

Hey @jspark

Good call-out. Instead of looking to see if the current row has Child rows, lets instead check to see if the current row has a Parent row or not:

=IF(OR(Status@row = "Cancelled", Status@row = "Paused", PARENT(Status@row) = "Cancelled", PARENT(Status@row) = "Paused"), "Inactive", IF(OR(AND(COUNT(ANCESTORS(Status@row)) = 0, Status@row = "Completed"), PARENT(Status@row) = "Completed"), "Completed", "Active"))

Does that now work for all rows?

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!