Width of columns on printed report

Mike TV
Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited 06/19/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Does anyone know what determines the width of columns when you choose to print a report?

SmartSheet seems to ignore the resizing I do within the report when you choose to print it. What happens is that it adds too much extra space and sizes the columns too large. So when you print it the text is smaller than it needs to be.

Has anyone found a way to resize the columns on the printed report so it doesn't make the text too small to read?

Answers

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Mike TV Try exporting it to excel first?

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am hoping for a SmartSheet solution so I don't have to rely on another program to allow SmartSheet to behave as it should.

• Hi Mike TV

When printing a report in Smartsheet, the column widths are determined based on the content within the cells and the page settings specified for printing. Smartsheet tries to fit the content within the columns while maintaining the readability of the text.

If you're experiencing issues where Smartsheet adds too much extra space and sizes the columns too large, causing the printed text to be smaller than desired, here are a few suggestions to consider:

1. Adjust Page Settings: Check the page settings before printing the report. Ensure that the paper size, orientation (portrait or landscape), and margins are set appropriately. You can access the page settings by going to the Print Preview or Print options in your Smartsheet.
    2. Adjust Column Widths: Try adjusting the column widths within the report to achieve the desired layout. You can resize columns by hovering your cursor over the right boundary of a column header until it changes to a double-headed arrow, then click and drag the boundary to adjust the width. Ensure that the content in the cells is fully visible without being truncated.

If you continue to experience difficulties, you may want to reach out to Smartsheet support or consult the Smartsheet community forums for further assistance and insights from other users.

• Craig F
    Craig F ✭✭✭

Mike, I don't know if we are looking for something similar. Firstly, I'd like to be able to see the column sizes when creating the report in Smartsheet. At the moment, you resize and guess. Secondly, I'd like it to be able to hold those sizes so that when you print reports from Smartsheet, the sizing and layouts are consistent, the way they would be in excel, but I shouldn't have to keep exporting data to excel.

• Mike TV
    Mike TV ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Craig F

Correct. The printed report should be a reflection of exactly how the report looks. If you resize the columns on the report they should print as such.

Additionally, when printing it removes all grouping. I would absolutely LOVE IT if they maintained the grouping when printing as well. What's the point otherwise? I printed a report for my boss this week that had grouping and he wanted printed paper copies of the reports I made. I had to leave him a post-it note on the printed version telling him it looks like crap printed and to use the online SmartSheet because it has things grouped together on screen that refuses to print out properly. It's embarrassing handing my boss something that looks like trash.