Automatic Hiding of Rows Based on Criteria

Hello!

Can you format a grid to automatically hide a row based on certain criteria, such as a Dropdown Column Status being changed to "Complete"?

Thanks!

Answers

• Frank S.
    Frank S. ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Greetings @ClaireWallace,

On your sheet, you can use the filter feature to show only the status column criteria you want to show.

For example, you can create a filter to show the status Not Started, In Progress, Canceled, or On Hold. This would automatically hide all complete statuses. If you want to hide the parent row as well, there is a checkbox for that.

Once you create and name the filter, save the sheet. This will make this view the default. I would also share the filter so other users can view the same information.

Another option would be to create a report with the columns you want and use the filter features within the report only to show the statuses you want. The report feature may be a better path if you are trying to share this information with a large group, so they do not need to worry about the filter option on the main sheet.

I hope this helps.

Frank Smith, PMP

Assistant Director | IT Special Projects Mgr.

Oregon Parks & Recreation Department

If my response helps, please mark it as an accepted answer. 😎

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 07/05/23

Hi @ClaireWallace,

Unfortunately there is no way currently to hide, or automate hiding of rows. You can only hide rows via hierarchy (child/parent/ancestors), filters, and reports.

Would be a good product idea to submit. You can search for other submissions to upvote, or submit your own if you don't find any already out there.

https://community.smartsheet.com/categories/smartsheet-product-feedback-&-ideas?sort=top

All the best,

-Ray

• i have sheet with owner column, where owner is the email contact list type.

can we make only those row visible and editable to the user who login email is same as the owner column cell value?

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@alishah730,

You can do that! I know of 2 ways.

1.) Create a Report that pulls in the rows, and apply a filter to it. Then the users can make their edits via the Report since Reports offer bi-directional updates (meaning updates made to the Report flow back to the grid).

Filter = [Assigned To] "has any of" - "Current User"

2.) Create the same type filter, but directly on your grid. Users may have to select the filter though.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!