Fileds with formulas

ADeLaGarza
ADeLaGarza ✭✭
edited 07/27/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Can these fields with formulas be added to a from? Email address and Phone number

When creating the form these fields do not appear on my form.

Answers

• Can these fields with formulas be added to a from? Email address and Phone number

When creating the form these fields do not appear on my form.

• Itai
    Itai ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @ADeLaGarza

Formula fields cannot be added to a form, can you give some more details maybe there is a workaround for what you need?

Itai Perez

Reporting and Project Manager

If you found my comment helpful any reaction, Insightful, Awsome etc... would be appreciated🙂

https://www.linkedin.com/in/itai-perez/

• Hi Itai,

Thank you in advance for your support. I have a sheet with all

of these fields\column, when I create the form the two columns highlighted in

yellow cannot be added to the form.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Right. The user isn't going to be able to edit it because it has a formula in it. Therefore, Smartsheet just doesn't allow it to be added to the form.

Are you wanting it pre-populated with the ability to edit, or why are you wanting to add it to the form to begin with if it is already being populated?

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul,

I would like for the user to select his or her name from the drop-down that is on the form and then pre-populate.

his or her email address and phone number which are on a separate Sheet.

I submitted a suggestion to see if this can be added to Smarsheet. I know the columns with formulas don't show on the form or description.

Best regards,

AD

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ADeLaGarza Are you wanting it to prepopulate the form so that they can edit it? If not, you don't really need it on the form. It just needs to be pulled to the sheet using INDEX/MATCH after the form is submitted.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• We would like to see the email address and phone number displayed on the form. However, since the two columns are formulas there are not going to appear on the form.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ADeLaGarza

I hope you're well and safe!

To add to previous commenters, excellent advice/answer.

Can you elaborate on the use case? What's the goal?

As Itai mentioned, there might be a workaround. (maybe select the contact in a list and have it show in a Dashboard)

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Thank you for your response.

The goal is to allow Smartsheet to include the fields with formulas in the form. The user will not be able to modify the fields; however, when selecting their name from the dropdown it will prepopulate their phone number and email address and it will show up on the form. I think this will be more efficient and will save the user keystrokes.

Currently, the From Field has the username that is referenced to another Smartsheet that houses their email address and phone number. As Paul mentioned in his email, I'm doing an index match, but the email address and phone numbers are formulas and will not show on the form like in my sample below. Smartsheet only allows fields that are not formulas.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ADeLaGarza

Happy to help!

Have you explored using the URL-Query feature?

Another option that could help would be to set it so the user has to be logged in with their Smartsheet account. Then you can collect the user that way and be sure that it's correct, and you could auto-populate the rest of the information in the sheet as needed with the INDEX/MATCH formula.

Make sense?

Does that work?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Andrée Starå I'm curious how either of those options would work at scale. The idea is to select my name from a dropdown. Sure we could give everyone their own personal link to a prefilled form, but that doesn't scale well depending on the delivery.

And populating the rest of the information in the sheet after form submission is what the user is already doing and has explained a couple of times is what they are trying to avoid.

10xViz.com

• After doing some additional research I found a video that demonstrates what I'm trying to accomplish. I will try this I hope it works :)

Smartsheet demo to pre-populate forms with reference data - YouTube

• Thank you, Paul and Andree.

Best regards.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ADeLaGarza That's the URL query solution previously suggested, but one thig to keep in mind is that you will need to provide everyone with their own unique form URL. Basically I wouldn't be able to use the same link as you. This could present challenges depending on your delivery system.

10xViz.com

• Paul,

Thank you for letting me know. You are correct that will not work, I do not want to provide a link to each and everyone that is filling out a form. The goal is when they click submit the email address and phone number will be included in the form.