Trying to drag a cell value down but can't do in large quantities

KimTDSYN
KimTDSYN ✭✭✭
edited 08/09/23 in Smartsheet Basics

I want to copy a value down through all my rows but can't get it to work in bulk. I just pasted about 2000 lines of data and the drag and drop doesn't work consistently, and definitely not for a large quantity. I just want to do like in Excel where you double click the cross hairs, but it won't work. I cannot apply a formula as there is no logic that will apply. I tried the Ctrl-Windows and Ctrl-D that I saw on a post but that doesn't work. I can't keep dragging and dropping with only 50 at a time. There has got to be an easier way that I am missing.

Answers

• SteyJ
    SteyJ ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hello @KimTDSYN,

What is the data you are trying to duplicate?

You may be able to just do ="data" convert to column formula

Sincerely,

Jacob Stey

• KimTDSYN
    KimTDSYN ✭✭✭

The cells in the columns will have one of 2 text values.

The data has to be manually entered. There is no formula/logic to populate those fields. I think I'm going to create the column in Excel and then just copy and paste. It's just frustrating that I can't tell Smartsheet to use current value and copy down.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @KimTDSYN

I hope you're well and safe!

Strange! Have you tried another browser or the Smartsheet Desktop App?

Did that make any difference?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic week!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• KimTDSYN
    KimTDSYN ✭✭✭

I tried on both Edge and Chrome and am having the same problem. The dragging of the corner has to be done in small batches and the double click like you can do in Excel doesn't work.

• Amanda Z
    Amanda Z ✭✭✭

You have to add the $ around the cells you want to stay the same. I want the 2023 row cell to change but the 2024 cell to remain the same.

=[2023]@row * $[2024]$18

• KimTDSYN
    KimTDSYN ✭✭✭

Thanks but this is not a formula issue.

In Excel you can double click the "+" on the lower right corner of a cell and it auto copies (either the text or formula) down the whole column. That doesn't work in SS. I have to manually drag it down.