Auto populate with current, past, or upcoming text based on year

Options

I am trying to auto populate a column with "Current", "Past", or "Upcoming" based on the year column. So for a row with 2023, I would want "Current", but would want "Past" or "Upcoming" based on what's in the Year column. I've put in the following formula but get an error (#UNPARSEABLE)

=IF(Year@row = YEAR(TODAY()), "Current", IF(Year@row=Year(today())-1,"Past",IF(Year@row=YEAR(today())+1,Upcoming,0)

Best Answer

Answers

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It looks like you missed a couple closing parentheses and the quotes around "Upcoming".

=IF(Year@row = YEAR(TODAY()), "Current", IF(Year@row = Year(today()) - 1,"Past", IF(Year@row = YEAR(today()) + 1, "Upcoming", 0)))

• hdierkers
    Options

So that worked when it's one year in the future or past, but does not track after 2022 (2 years back from today). Any way to get all years in the past to calculate? If it helps, the data I have goes back to 2011, but I will be tracking future projects as well (currently out to 2025).

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

See if this works for you:

=IF(Year@row = YEAR(TODAY()), "Current", IF(Year@row < Year(today()),"Past", IF(Year@row > YEAR(today()), "Upcoming", 0)))

• hdierkers
    Options

Yes! Thank you!

• hdierkers
    Options

@Carson Penticuff - wanting to take this a step further, and calculate data for completed projects from the last 3 years. I've tried the formula below, but I keep getting and INVALID DATA TYPE error.

=COUNTIFS({LEGACY Submissions Project List Project Type}, ="Project Type", {LEGACY Submissions Project List Status}, ="Completed", OR({LEGACY Submissions Project List Year}, =YEAR(TODAY()) - 3, =YEAR(TODAY()) - 2, =YEAR(TODAY()) - 1))

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I see a couple of options. I think this will fix what you are attempting to do:

=COUNTIFS({LEGACY Submissions Project List Project Type}, = "Project Type", {LEGACY Submissions Project List Status}, = "Completed", {LEGACY Submissions Project List Year}, OR(@cell = YEAR(TODAY()) - 3, @cell = YEAR(TODAY()) - 2, @cell = YEAR(TODAY()) - 1))

You could also simplify this a little, I believe. This should work assuming you do not have anything marked as complete with a date from a future year:

=COUNTIFS({LEGACY Submissions Project List Project Type}, = "Project Type", {LEGACY Submissions Project List Status}, = "Completed", {LEGACY Submissions Project List Year}, >= YEAR(TODAY()) - 3)

• hdierkers
    Options

The first one worked - thanks!

• Carson Penticuff
    Carson Penticuff ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Awesome, I'm glad I could help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!