I have a report that has locked rows and users only have editor can share access. I want them to ha

I have a report that has locked rows and users only have editor can share access. I want them to have the ability to filter so that they can search for key words or phrases. We do not want them having the sheet due to the group and summary not available on the sheet.Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Tabitha Thieman

Just to clarify, if your users need Editor permissions on the Report, they'll need to have Editor permissions on the underlying sheet as well (unless you're using Workapps or Dynamic View).

If filtering is the most important way of navigating the data, then I would suggest using the underlying sheet.

You could have both in one view if you used a Dashboard: a Grouped Report as a Report Widget, and a published, editable sheet as a Web Content Widget. That would allow them to use the Report as a reference and the editable sheet to filter.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few ways you can do this which range in complexity:

1. You can use Ctrl + F / Cmnd + F and find rows that have desired info.
    2. Instruct users to change the filter criteria so they can update the reports as they please. This might necessitate making individual reports for each person if there are many users.
    3. If the search terms are common and known, you can add a multi-select column with "Tags". You could generate reports with each tag for easy access, or use this in tandem with #1.
    4. You can create fully searchable and dynamic reports that adapt to a search term. This is a rather advanced solution which requires: (1) Inputting the search term into a cell, (2) Querying the underlying Sheet data to find rows where this term is matched based on the column(s) that are relevant, (3) Building the report to filter based on the updates to the Sheet after steps 1 and 2. I have a video that shows how this is done, but I have made versions that are specific to this and live on a dedicated Dashboard and require no clicking to external assets (i.e., you can embed a Sheet for step 1, but do need to refresh dashboard so report will update). This would also work well in WorkApps if you have access. Video: https://youtu.be/yfOCDtILixY?t=342

Dan Palenchar | School of Sheets Solutions Consulting (Smartsheet Aligned Gold Partner)

Consulting Inquiries: www.schoolofsheets.com/workwithus

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• The report will eventually be massive.

1.Using Ctrl F doesn't work bc it would click cell by cell to review all of the findings.

2.This is a repository report. Users are restricted to editor can share, they do not have the ability to filter.

3.We have a tag column but again, this report will eventually be massive and ctrl F doesn't return things at once.

4.The terms that people will be searching will vary. A report cannot be built for each term.

• Thank you, but not sure that will help this situation.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Tabitha Thieman

Unfortunately Free Collaborators are going to be unable to filter a report.

If this is a high priority requirement, and you have a little budget to find a solution, we do have a tool that would be able to help you. Smarter Dashboards from Smarter Business Processes is a dashboard solution that is embedded into your Smartsheet environment that draws its data from your Smartsheet, but provides the ability to filter on multiple levels of criteria, changing all dashboard widgets to show the filtered results.

This would do what you are looking for, feel free to reach out for a demo.

Kind regards

Debbie Sawyer - Chief Smartsheet Solutions Officer (CSSO)

• These are licensed users.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you upgrade them to Admin shares (if they are licensed) then they will be able to use the filters.

• I do not want to upgrade them to admins as I don't want them to be able to change the data.

• Debbie Sawyer
    Debbie Sawyer ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ahhh - catch 22 then!

Our Smarter Dashboards will allow editors to filter data in reports without the ability to update the data.

My email address is on my profile, do reach out if you are interested.

Kind regards

Debbie

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Tabitha Thieman

Just to clarify, if your users need Editor permissions on the Report, they'll need to have Editor permissions on the underlying sheet as well (unless you're using Workapps or Dynamic View).

If filtering is the most important way of navigating the data, then I would suggest using the underlying sheet.

You could have both in one view if you used a Dashboard: a Grouped Report as a Report Widget, and a published, editable sheet as a Web Content Widget. That would allow them to use the Report as a reference and the editable sheet to filter.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now