Help with Syntax

I'm trying to get the sort order to group based on the "highlights", "lowlights", "risks", and "issues" but my only options are ascending or descending. I need a custom sort order... So I'm trying to hack it using a hidden column that uses numbers but it's showing up on the grouping when I use grouping...

And I'm struggling with the formula for creating the custom sort order so I can make it a column formula...

=IF([Type] = "Highlights", "1 - Highlights", IF([Type] = "Lowlights", "2 - Lowlights", IF([Type] = "Risks", "3 - Risks", IF([Type] = "Issues to be Escalated / Needs or Asks", "4 - Issues/Asks"))))

Best Answer

• John C Murray
    John C Murray ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That's the way grouping works, so you are stuck with it appearing

For your column formula you will need to add @row to your column specifiers:

=IF([Type]@row = "Highlights", "1 - Highlights", IF([Type]@row = "Lowlights", "2 - Lowlights", IF([Type]@row = "Risks", "3 - Risks", IF([Type]@row = "Issues to be Escalated / Needs or Asks", "4 - Issues/Asks"))))

Answers

• John C Murray
    John C Murray ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

That's the way grouping works, so you are stuck with it appearing

For your column formula you will need to add @row to your column specifiers:

=IF([Type]@row = "Highlights", "1 - Highlights", IF([Type]@row = "Lowlights", "2 - Lowlights", IF([Type]@row = "Risks", "3 - Risks", IF([Type]@row = "Issues to be Escalated / Needs or Asks", "4 - Issues/Asks"))))

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!