Convert Text to Date

Options

I am looking for help to convert 20230818 ['Max Date' text formatted column] to read 08/18/2023 in the ['Last Activity Date' date formatted column]. However, the formula that I am using returns a value of #INCORRECT ARGUMENT SET

=DATE(VALUE(MID([Max Date]@row, 5, 2), (VALUE(RIGHT([Max Date]@row, 2), (VALUE(LEFT([Max Date]@row, 4)))))))

Best Answer

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Heather P.

This should work:

=DATE(VALUE(LEFT([Max Date]@row, 4)), VALUE(MID([Max Date]@row, 5, 2)), VALUE((RIGHT([Max Date]@row, 2))))

Your formula will not work as the middle bit of the formula is trying to calculate the month - there isn't an 18th month of the year. The format of the date itself will be based on Smartsheet settings.

• Frank Falco
    Frank Falco ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Try this in the Last Activity Date (Which should be a DATE Column):

=DATE(VALUE(LEFT([Max Date]@row, 4)), VALUE(MID([Max Date]@row, 5, 2)), VALUE(RIGHT([Max Date]@row, 2)))

DATE (YYYY,MM,DD)

Need to wrap VALUE() around to convert string to number for the DATE() function

Your version was:

DATE (MM,DD,YYYY)

✅Did my post help answer your question or solve your problem? Please help the Community by marking it as the accepted answer/helpful. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @Heather P.,

Try this:

=RIGHT((LEFT([Max Date]@row, 6)), 2) + "/" + RIGHT([Max Date]@row, 2) + "/" + LEFT([Max Date]@row, 4)

I tested and here are the results:

• Heather P.
    Options

Hi @Ray Lindstrom - that worked! Thank you so much!

• Ray Lindstrom
    Ray Lindstrom ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So glad to hear it. Happy to help!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!