Is there a way for @mentioning a user in Update Request comments?

T. Smith
T. Smith ✭✭✭
edited 10/11/23 in Smartsheet Basics

Hello,

I've been drinking the Smartsheet koolaid for some time now and have implemented numerous workflows/sheets/reports/workspaces for various departments. I thought I had all the functionality I would ever need until a coworker who gets weekly update request highlighted to me that he is unable to @mention someone in the comments section of the update request.

This seems a large shame to hinder that excellent collaborative functionality. Has anyone found a way around this?

Thank you!

-Tanner

Best Answer

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @T. Smith

There is actually a way to @mention users via Update Requests!

Since you're not working in the app itself, you won't be able to use their name to select a contact. Instead, type @ and then the email address in the Comment box. This will send an @mention notification to the email (as long as the email is shared to the sheet).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• SoS | Dan Palenchar
    SoS | Dan Palenchar ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/11/23

Hello @T. Smith !

To add another flavor of kool aid for you -

A potential workaround would be to add a contact column into your Sheet and add that into the Update Request. Then, once the request goes through, a second automation could alert the person selected in that column that their is an update for them to see.

School of Sheets (Smartsheet Partner)

If my answer helped please accept and react w/💡Insightful, ⬆️ Vote Up, ❤️Awesome!

• T. Smith
    T. Smith ✭✭✭

Hi @Dan Palenchar ,

I appreciate your idea. Our update requests, though reviewed by the project coordinator, are sometimes areas that create new discussions to other employees. Most times, they are simply making notes about the project. However, if they specifically want the project coordinator or another person to be notified of an update or start a new discussion/thread, they wouldn't be able to have that versatility of notifying a dynamic group of people/users if the contact is 'hard coded' into the contact column.

I appreciate your input and suggestion, but I'm looking for a more dynamic solution that keeps it as simple as possible for the updaters to use.

Have a great weekend!😀

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @T. Smith

There is actually a way to @mention users via Update Requests!

Since you're not working in the app itself, you won't be able to use their name to select a contact. Instead, type @ and then the email address in the Comment box. This will send an @mention notification to the email (as long as the email is shared to the sheet).

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now