Show Month from Week #

Hello,

I'm creating a helper column that needs to show what month a week number was from.

For Example, I have a sheet with a [Date] column and [Week #] column.

I have second sheet that has a Week # and is pulling data from my first sheet based on a calculation using Week #.

In the second sheet, I'd like to create a helper column that displays the Month that the Week # is from, I.E. - Week 1 = January, Week 6 = Feb, etc...

Can this be done with a formula?

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The easiest way to do this is in stages on a reference sheet.

Step 1:

Create a date type column and enter ever date from Jan 1 to Dec 31.

Step 2:

Create a text/number column called "Weeknumber" and use this formula:

=WEEKNUMBER([Date Column]@row)

Step 3:

Create a text/number column called "Month Number" and enter the numbers 1 - 12 in it.

Step 4:

Create a text/number called "Month Text" and enter the desired text for each month.

Step 5:

Create a text/number column to house the final desired output of the month in relation tot he week number and use this formula

=INDEX([Month Text]:[Month Text], MATCH(MONTH([Date Column]@row), [Month Number]:[Month Number], 0))

Now you have a table that has every date, the corresponding week number, and the appropriate month text.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

The easiest way to do this is in stages on a reference sheet.

Step 1:

Create a date type column and enter ever date from Jan 1 to Dec 31.

Step 2:

Create a text/number column called "Weeknumber" and use this formula:

=WEEKNUMBER([Date Column]@row)

Step 3:

Create a text/number column called "Month Number" and enter the numbers 1 - 12 in it.

Step 4:

Create a text/number called "Month Text" and enter the desired text for each month.

Step 5:

Create a text/number column to house the final desired output of the month in relation tot he week number and use this formula

=INDEX([Month Text]:[Month Text], MATCH(MONTH([Date Column]@row), [Month Number]:[Month Number], 0))

Now you have a table that has every date, the corresponding week number, and the appropriate month text.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Luke W.
    Luke W. ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 10/25/23

@Paul Newcome

Thanks! That worked well.

Now, I assume that I need to reference this when creating the helper column on my original sheet? How does that work?

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

That would be another INDEX/MATCH.

10xViz.com

• Luke W.
    Luke W. ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!