User invitation automatically declines

Answers

• Chiming in that the Minnesota Department of Health is also experiencing this issue.

• Jenny M
    Jenny M ✭✭

It is happening here too in Australia.

• I am not sure how to escalate this issue. No one from Smartsheet is taking any action that is alleviating the issue. My IT department is saying that the whitelisting is not the issue because the system.smartsheet.com emails are coming through internally.

Has anyone on this thread been able to resolve the issue? Smartsheet CLOSED my ticket and pretty much said they are looking into to and I am SOL. I am contacting my account rep now. Terrible support, communication and follow through. Since everyone to start having the issue around the same time, it means it is a large scale issue and not one firm's issue.

Would be nice that of they actually say, we are working on identifying the root cause on their status report.😡

• Jen B.
    Jen B. ✭✭✭✭

I've attempted multiple workarounds - my user is blocked from accepting an invitation, cannot find our enterprise account within the application, and when she tried using the Account Discovery Tool to request access, the following popup displayed.

During this infuriating process, I literally watched from User Management as the invite I sent her declined instantaneously. It took a good minute, maybe two, from when I saw the declined status until she even received the invitation email.

Obviously, it is quite implausible for so many (unrelated) accounts to have coincidentally experienced some user-side issue that independently caused the same problem. At this point in time, Smartsheet is the only common denominator that I can identify.

Like so many others, I've opened a new support ticket in the hopes that this issue will get the attention it desperately needs. 🤞

• We are also experiencing the same problem. I have whitelisted the smartsheet domain, so emails make it through. Nothing else has changed on our domain that should cause this to happen, and the other users before this had no problems.

We're a newer account so the level of frustration here may drive us back to previous tools...

• We are experiencing this especially over the last month or so. It doesn't matter if we set the user up as a licensed or free account. The user can't access our account to do a request access either. We tried that as well after reviewing several others comments.

• Okay I wanted to share a work around that was successful for us after many different tries. I deleted the declined user account and then shared an existing workspace I had set up with the person who wasn't able to get in. He was able to follow the link in the email to a log in page and then he created an account. Now he has access without any issues.

• Carolyn Stone
    Carolyn Stone ✭✭✭✭

This is also happening for me. We tried to request access, and that did not work either.

• Hi all,

We understand that this is happening for a lot of our customers, as you can see from this discussion. I want to confirm with all of you that our Engineering team is aware of this behaviour.

With continued investigation, we do still believe this is caused by email security software that uses link inspection and automatically clicks links to check for security threats; in this instance the link to 'decline' is being followed/clicked, immediately declining the invite. Depending on what security software you're using, this could happen before the email even appears in an inbox (as the email may go through this "inspection" first).

While the cause of this behaviour is not preventable by Smartsheet we are evaluating longer-term product changes to prevent link inspection from causing this in the future.

I don't have an ETA for when our emails will be updated to counteract the automatic link clicks, but I will post again here when I have another update.

In the meantime, please continue to report this to your IT department to evaluate your email security settings, as well as request that these domains be added to your allow lists.

• smartsheet.com
    • app.smartsheet.com
    • info.smartsheet.com
    • system.smartsheet.com
    • reply.smartsheet.com
    • s3.amazonaws.com

Thank you!

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Chris K
    Chris K ✭✭✭

This is happening on my account also for the last 2 days. I have case 06578063 submitted

• Chris K
    Chris K ✭✭✭

@Genevieve P. This is not a link inspection issue on our side. I have not had an issue with this as late as last week. This started for me yesterday and we have not implemented any security updates or changes. This is a Smartsheet issue that is affecting many of your users.

• Carolyn Stone
    Carolyn Stone ✭✭✭✭

Hi Genevieve,

Is there any workaround Smartsheets can provide to get an account created for us? I literally have a new project manager who now cannot work because I can't get them into our account.

• Susan D
    Susan D ✭✭✭

Pictures would be helpful

• Hi @Genevieve P. ,

None of our new staff have a Smartsheet account. When we send their invite we require them to use SSO and login using their Microsoft credentials rather than set a password. Does the SSO still work? Also, is there a way to turn off invitation notifications until this is resolved and have users login directly to Smartsheet to accept.

Also, per @Susan D some pictures would be helpful.