Unparseable Error: Check "Checkbox" when conditions are met

Hello. I have a helper checkbox column. I would like a formula to "check the box" when the content in the column "Frequency L4" is not blank. In addition, I would like any ancestor row of that "not blank" row marked with the check box as well. So far I have only worked on the first part and get errors. Any ideas on how to make this work is much appreciated.

Below is the formula for the first part that gives me the Unparseable error. Thank you!

=IF([Frequency L4]@row = NOT(ISBLANK), 1)

Best Answer

• SolutionSal
    SolutionSal Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Terri,

The #UNPARSABLE error is thrown when "the formula has a problem which prevents it from being parsed and interpreted. This can happen for many reasons, such as misspelling, incomplete operators, using the wrong case for a column name, or using single quotes instead of double quotes."

ISBLANK is a formula of it's own. It is expecting an input value between parenthesis. Here is an updated version of your formula

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Frequency L4]@row)), 1, 0)

Here is a help article which should help with your other question regarding parent/children rows.

Hope this helps!

Sal

Answers

• SolutionSal
    SolutionSal Employee
    Answer ✓

Hi Terri,

The #UNPARSABLE error is thrown when "the formula has a problem which prevents it from being parsed and interpreted. This can happen for many reasons, such as misspelling, incomplete operators, using the wrong case for a column name, or using single quotes instead of double quotes."

ISBLANK is a formula of it's own. It is expecting an input value between parenthesis. Here is an updated version of your formula

=IF(NOT(ISBLANK([Frequency L4]@row)), 1, 0)

Here is a help article which should help with your other question regarding parent/children rows.

Hope this helps!

Sal

• Terri1019
    Terri1019 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much! I have spent way too much time on this. I appreciate you help. It works perfectly!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!