Form being able to be used to ask longer questions outside of dropdown selection

Has anyone been able to expand how forms are being used to ask more extended questions or have a workaround utilizing logic when creating a form?

I created a form (form should be the next image) using the drop-down opens added to a column on a sheet.

The process works to some point, but there is no logic available to identify if an item is picked since it is hard-coded in the column drop-down.

I am looking for ideas and hoping someone has found a workaround. Adding extra columns could work, but it is limited since it would mean potentially adding 100 columns and building logic to go with it. Plus, the column name length is limited, so the complete questions cannot be added.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

• Eric Law
    Eric Law ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tesman What are you trying to actually do? For the column names, yes they are limited, but in the Form, you can display a longer/alternative text than what is the column name.

• tesman
    tesman ✭✭

I am trying to create a form to allow more extended questions to be added and read and then allow input and logic based on the answer to the question to feedback into the sheet. Most examples I see with the Smartsheet form are basic short questions or drop-downs for intake only. Through the Sheet drop-down, I am able almost to get there, but since it is in the drop-down from the sheet, I cannot put any logic on the response in the form.

• Razetto
    Razetto ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@tesman A way around it could be to create a second sheet (i.e. reference) and list every single question displayed in the intake form, indent each drop-down option with those long descriptions. Add the reference sheet url to the intake form. Last, in your original sheet you can now simplify the wording of those long descriptions.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!