Formula help! If cell is not blank, return value from another cell

I'm having trouble building a formula that works for the below requirement (see screenshot for reference).

If the cell in column 'INT / DOM / TEMP / NG' is NOT BLANK, then I need the column 'TITLE (Formula)' to pull through the value from a specific cell ('A1' in Excel terms, or 'TITLE / Security Title' in the example shown in the screenshot - the one in blue and yellow).

This is needed because I want to create several duplicates of this sheet, each one for a different 'TITLE / Security Title', and then create a Report that pulls all of the sheets together, with the rows able to be grouped by 'TITLE (Formula)' but ONLY if those rows contain anything in the 'INT / DOM / TEMP / NG' column.

I hope this makes some sense - can anyone help me with the formula?

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi

I believe this formula, entered in the TITLE (Formula) column would work for you:

=IF(ISBLANK([INT / DOM / TEMP / NG]@row), "", TITLE$1)

It creates this:

You start with an IF

For the logical expression you use ISBLANK

ISBLANK([INT / DOM / TEMP / NG]@row) is checking that the cell in the column INT / DOM / TEMP / NG is blank

If that is true it puts in "" (ie nothing)

If it is false it puts in the value in the TITLE column, but instead of TITLE@row, it pulls just from row 1 because of the $1

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi

I believe this formula, entered in the TITLE (Formula) column would work for you:

=IF(ISBLANK([INT / DOM / TEMP / NG]@row), "", TITLE$1)

It creates this:

You start with an IF

For the logical expression you use ISBLANK

ISBLANK([INT / DOM / TEMP / NG]@row) is checking that the cell in the column INT / DOM / TEMP / NG is blank

If that is true it puts in "" (ie nothing)

If it is false it puts in the value in the TITLE column, but instead of TITLE@row, it pulls just from row 1 because of the $1

• AMAZING thank you! 😀

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!