IF statement question

Hi! I'm trying to use an IF equation and am running into unparseable. I want to say if my Project Status column says "Submitted," that the column next to it, which is called Status Details, automatically is filled with "Not Yet Triaged"

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/06/23

You may note have created the IF function exactly right. This should work:

=IF([Project Status]@row = "Submitted", "Not Yet Triaged")

The syntax is

IF( logical_expression, value_if_true, [ value_if_false ])

• logical_expression — The expression to evaluate. Must be true or false.
    • value_if_true — The value or formula to return if the logical expression is true.
    • value_if_false —[optional] The value or formula to return if the logical expression is false. If omitted, a blank value is returned.

• Many thanks, that works! Is there also a way to do an IF statement for if I have conditional formatting active in the row (highlighted yellow in my example), that it will set the Project Status field to Submitted?

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't believe you can write an IF statement based on the format of the cell but you can certainly use whatever logic you used to create the conditional formatting within a formula. So for example, if the row is yellow because a checkbox is ticked, then in your formula you can have an IF to say if the checkbox is checked then change the Project Status.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!