Error in Formula - Invalid column value

Hi everyone,

I am trying to get a "date" value from another sheet. I used this formula for other data, and it worked. Only this to look up the date doesn't work!

=INDEX({Project-CIC Approved}, MATCH([Column5]1, {Projects Yardi Job Cost}, 0))

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Does the column with the formula in and the column with the date in both have a column type of "Date"?

• @KPH, Unfortunately not, and due to the report I am working on, I cannot set the column as date. The other one is set as date.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@nermine.elsaghir

The column type is the issue. The formula is trying to put the date in date format from {Project-CIC Approved} into your new column but as that column is not a date format column it returns an error. # INVALID COLUMN VALUE

The quickest workaround is to convert the date into text by adding + "" to the end of the formula.

Like this:

=INDEX({Project-CIC Approved}, MATCH([Column5]1, {Projects Yardi Job Cost}, 0))+1

Another, more complex option, is to break the date into its component parts - day, month, year, and then concatenate them back together again. But I think the simple option will get you the result you need.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!