Layered functionality

RSmith30
RSmith30 ✭✭✭
edited 11/13/23 in Formulas and Functions

Hello community!

I have a master project sheet that is auto populated from an intake form for entire organization. I am setting up different division portfolio metrics. Each division has multiple "locations" within it. I am currently looking to modify the Portfolio metrics sheet for "projects by status." My issue is that I am referencing the master sheet so I need some filtering that only affects the division I am working on. I was able to create a formula to list just the number of projects that met the "location" requirement for that division. This essentially acts as the filter.

=COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-10") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-11") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-12") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-21") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-23") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-24") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="CLE-Electronics Factory") + COUNTIF({Location}, ="Machine Division")

Now I would like to count the number of projects by status within those locations. I am using the below formula but it is not taking into account the "filter" for location before collecting the status from the label row.

=SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-10") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-11") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 9-12") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-21") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-23") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Dept. 2-24") + SUMIF({Location}, ="CLE-Electronics Factory") + SUMIF({Location}, ="Machine Division") + COUNT(COLLECT({Location}, {Activity Status}, $Label@row))

There may be a much simpler way to accomplish this task, but any help would be greatly appreciated!!

@Paul Newcome @James Keuning @Andrée Starå

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try your first formula idea where you used COUNTIF() + COUNTIF() + COUNTIF() but use a series of COUNTIFS instead so that you can use a range/criteria set for the department, location, status, etc. all within each COUNTIFS.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• RSmith30
    RSmith30 ✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/23

@Paul Newcome @James Keuning @Andrée Starå

Thank you for the suggestion on the approach/strategy. I think I am close but keep receiving an invalid operation error and can't seem to pinpoint it.

=SUM(COUNTIFS({CI Activity Master Sheet Status}, "In Progress", {CI Activity Master Sheet Location}, {"Dept. 9-10", "Dept. 9-11", "Dept. 9-12", "Dept. 2-21", "Dept. 2-23", "Dept. 2-24", "CLE-Electronics Factory", "Machine Division"}))

"CI Activity Master Sheet Status" and "CI Activity Master Sheet Location" are the columns referenced on a different sheet.

"In progress" is the first criteria to count and all the departments listed is the second criteria.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No. You would work it similar to your first formula where you have

=COUNTIF() + COUNTIF() + COUNTIF()

but instead you would use a series of COUNTIFS so that you can include multiple range/criteria sets within each.

=COUNTIFS() + COUNTIFS() + COUNTIFS()

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!