Column formula syntax isn't quite right?

In the image below I'm trying to have Smartsheet User auto filled if the box is checked in Smartsheet. I was able to accomplish this by using the following formula =IF(Smartsheet1 = 1, [Primary Email Address]@row, "") however when I try to convert to column formula I get a column formula syntax error. Please help?

Best Answer

• jessica.smith
    jessica.smith ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@LeoCicio The issue is that you can't convert a formula with an absolute cell reference into a column formula. Your options are:

1. To change Smartsheet1=1 to Smartsheet@row = 1 if you want to base the returned results off of that row's Smartsheet column field

2. If you need the returned result to be based on Row1, you'll need to add one or more helper columns and use an index/match formula. Happy to provide more information on this option if it's what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps!

Answers

• jessica.smith
    jessica.smith ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@LeoCicio The issue is that you can't convert a formula with an absolute cell reference into a column formula. Your options are:

1. To change Smartsheet1=1 to Smartsheet@row = 1 if you want to base the returned results off of that row's Smartsheet column field

2. If you need the returned result to be based on Row1, you'll need to add one or more helper columns and use an index/match formula. Happy to provide more information on this option if it's what you are trying to accomplish.

Hope this helps!

• The first option worked thanks so much!

• Sorry for late response, chiminig in for #2 worked. Had a @row formula but I had an absolute ($) in front of the @row that created the issue. I removed the $ and works now! Thank you, Jessica! :)

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!