Contain's within cell

I have a sheet that brings through several products per line and then we manually add in lines and split them down so that each product gets it's own line, which we use as a mail merge later.

What I want to do is make sure that the products we are manually adding are correct (it's a drop down) so I want to ensure that the manually added cell is contained in the original cell.

I have put an example below, so the yellow collum is what we manually enter and I want to say in the error column if "Description" contains "product" then True if not False, so if "orange cake" was accidently selected for this order it would know this was not in the description and would error!

I know how to use the Contain formula if I am typing something in but don't know if it's possible to use the content of another cell (in my case "Product" ) to get it to work.

Answers

• Nick Korna
    Nick Korna ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @JulieB78,

You can absolutely do this:

=IF(CONTAINS(Product@row, Description@row) = 1, "True", "False")

Using your sample data:

The second line comes up as False as "Rock Road" in the product doesn't quite match Rocky Road. However, it demonstrates the result of a negative handily for a typo!

Hope this helps, but if you've any problems/questions then just post!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!