ENGAGE in London is May 14-15! Big congratulations to our giveaway winner Julia L Rumburg!!
Relive the magic of ENGAGE in Seattle:

--- Check out the ENGAGE 2023 recap
--- Play Community games and earn new badges from our Games Dashboard

Save the Date for Seattle this October!

Connect and hear from past ENGAGE attendees 👋

Options

Comments

• Julie Fortney
    Julie Fortney Overachievers
    Options

First of all, I am relieved I'm not the only one who clearly wore the wrong shoes at some point. You won't make that mistake twice.

Here's my advice to people who are on the fence: I have met dozens of people whose careers were made by their mastery of Smartsheet. ENGAGE is an opportunity to soak up ideas that could make you even more valuable to your organization. The best Smartsheet solutions require creativity, and ENGAGE is an awesome opportunity to get away from the day-to-day and be inspired.

And my advice for making a case to your company to shell out the cash: Sure, you can take Smartsheet University training and attend webinars, and those things are valuable. But if those trainings are like reading a biology textbook, ENGAGE is like joining together with a group of fellow scientists to make a new discovery.

• SofiRuiz
    SofiRuiz Overachievers
    Options

Oh, others have covered so much! First of all, it is SO much fun. You'll meet a lot of like-minded folks but from a WIDE range of industries and backgrounds so the inspiration you get from exchanging use cases and experiences is like no other!

Be prepared for LOTS of nerdy conversations and don't miss breakfast or lunch! That's one of the best moments to mix with different attendees and meet lots of new and interesting people. Make sure to bring your cards or even best, have an e-card app or LinkedIn QR code available for these great (and tasty) networking moments.

Always have a notebook or laptop with you to write all the insightful content you'll get from the sessions, from improvement ideas for your solutions to new formulas, there's always something to write down.

Bring comfortable shoes and visit every single booth, some of my most insightful conversations and valuable contacts have come from those connections made at the experience hall and the booths.

• Nate H
    Nate H ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I was fortunate to get to attend in 2022. Hands down - best conference I've ever attended. They had the logistics down and the sessions were very thought-provoking. I loved every minute of it.

The biggest piece of advice I could offer is to engage others throughout the week and don't worry about your perceived skill level.

• Matt Johnson
    Matt Johnson ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Go in with the goal of "keeping the momentum going". Often times the nay-sayers can wear you down and going to ENGAGE can sort of re-energize the reason why we all do what we do. This year I asked people why they were at ENGAGE; was it to learn something specific or find an implementation partner. Often times the answer was "I just need THIS" and they would sort of point around at everything.

For more specific tips:

• Go with a buddy if possible but divide and conquer as often as you can.
    • Wear comfortable attire, mainly shoes. No one is looked down upon for wearing sneakers.
    • Socialize. The lunch tables are big for a reason. Read the room, ask to join, introduce yourself and ask how others use Smartsheet.
    • Go out at night and enjoy yourself, even if you don't like going out. Usually the whole city is filled with people who have something in common with you...Smartsheet. And take a selfie somewhere cool, just for you.
    • Don't be afraid to tell people how you use Smartsheet. There is no wrong answer and we all struggle with the same stuff. Maybe you don't use grouped reports and someone tells you they do and its a game changer, it's completely ok to tell them what works the best for you even if its a simplier feature.
    • For stuff like Brandfolder and connecting Resource Management to Smartsheet, use this time to get an in-person demo, preferably from another user, not a salesperson. A lot of times people are excited to show off their builds.
    • Connect with people on LinkedIn after you meet them so your Smartsheet network grows.
    • Lastly, let's restate "Socialize". If you struggle meeting new people or striking up conversation, make a goal to just introduce yourself to like 3 people a day and ask them why came to ENGAGE. See where the conversation goes from there.

Matt Johnson

Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

• Lauren Dominique
    Lauren Dominique ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Get ready to have more fun than you anticipated possible in a professional setting. I first attended ENGAGE in September 2023.

I was in awe from the moment I walked into the convention center; there was an amazing energy in every room I entered. I went back home afterwards telling everyone it was the highlight of my career. I never felt so at home and in my element with a group of professionals.

If you’re thinking about asking your organization to support sending you, do it. It’s well worth it.

If this comment helped you, please help me and help others by using the buttons below if you found it 💡 Insightful or ❤️ Awesome!

• virgh
    virgh ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BRING YOUR BUSINESS CARDS so you can go up to the speakers/presenters and ask them to send you their templates.

Virginia C. Hire Damrauer

• khickman
    khickman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This by far was the best conference I ever attended! The vibe, the excitement, the speakers, the city - by far the best. I learned so much in just a few days! Make time of downtime and to process everything you will learn!

• StephanieStepney
    StephanieStepney ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/13/23
    Options

I've attended Smartsheet Engage twice now and the first piece of advice I will give is certainly make SURE you wear comfortable shoes and expect to get your 10,000 steps in! Don't be trying to be cute! Be comfortable! 😁 I would bring my cute shoes to wear for a few moments and then step into my sneakers for walking. I would also advise that you bring a comfortable backpack rather than carry a purse; I found it easier to move around and keep my things together this way.

Before you go- BE SURE that you download the app and make a plan for the breakout sessions that you want to attend. Know what you want to learn more about and the app makes it so easy to create your personal schedule. You may not get a chance to attend all the sessions you want as they fill up quickly so be sure to plan to start lining up for sessions about 15 to 30 min early. If you can't attend make sure that you take a note so that you can watch it after the conference; all the sessions will be provided to you electronically.

The Smartsheet team feeds you so well! They provide very good snacks and there is always a nice variety- there really is something for everyone so you don't have to worry about bringing any of that. There is also a variety of refreshing beverages available. You will want to bring a water bottle or win a smartsheet one by completing their scavenger hunt (or other activity they have for winning those).

Come ready to network! There are so many fun and engaging things to do at the conference and you will meet so many people. Connect on LinkedIn or other social media channels should you choose. Plan to spend some time with the vendors and visit the booths to gain additional insights. If you have ANY questions for your solution- ask people, most everyone is willing to provide their expertise on the matter.

Lastly, enjoy your time there. If you have any problems with anything the whole smartsheet team will try to help you solve it so just ask someone. Don't bring work to this conference- do not check email- be out of the office to get the best experience and make sure you block a few days when you return to review everything you learned, you'll need a few days to absorb everything so I wouldn't advise jumping right back into work.

• Lisa W
    Lisa W Overachievers
    Options

So many AWESOME comments here that I don't have much to add... but as an Overachiever who finally attend her first ENGAGE, I say:

Don't hesitate... GO! You will learn SO much, not just about basic Smartsheet, but about how so many aspects of the tool interconnect. Oh, and speaking of connections... it's so motivating and refreshing to talk to other Smartsheet geeks! And to get new ideas for how to leverage key features to advance your team's productivity! My mind was blown from the moment I first walked in.

• Brucey
    Brucey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Any tips on selling to senior management on getting me and some of the team tickets?

We attend lots of free to attend industry conferences and these are usually for networking purposes / learning exercises.

• Joe Goetschel
    Joe Goetschel ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What would you say to someone who's considering attending ENGAGE for the first time?

You NEEEEEEEED to go! The first time I went to ENGAGE I had a long list of complicated questions on things I wanted to do that I just couldn't figure it out. Post-ENGAGE, ALL of my questions were answered and then WAY MORE.

When you go (because you NEED to) talk to EVERYONE on the floor. Smartsheet will help you with literally any question. You even can be part of Labs and test out new features that are just ideas. The coolest part, they ACTUALLY care about your option!

Not only can you learn from the Smartshet Staff but you can meet some incredible users who have SO much knowledge and they are also willing to help brainstorm ideas even after Engage.

After YOU go to Engage, you will be part of the club that CANNOT wait for the next one.

Joe Goetschel | Smartsheet Director | SCS CLOUD - Smartsheet Partner

joe.goetschel@scscloud.com

Save My Contact

"The only real limitation of Smartsheet is the level of effort required to achieve your goal."

• Sherry Fox
    Sherry Fox ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Events like Engage make me so sad that I am a contractor rater than a perm employee. Due to the costs involved, there was no way I could afford to pay my own way. However, if I was a perm employee, the company would have paid fore me to go. Hoping I am perm by next year so I can go!

Sherry Fox

Business System Data Analyst

Del-Air Heating, Air Conditioning, Plumbing and Electrical

EAP | Mobilizer | Automagician | Superstar | Community Champion

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sherryfox/

• Monicacraven
    Monicacraven ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Honestly I wasn't sure when I signed up if I would find value in it. I was worried it would be too high level, or all about products we don't have. I was really wrong. Not only was it a really fun time, I learned a ton, met great people, ended up feeling much more confident in my skills, and couldn't believe what a lux conference it was. I really hope I can go again!

• Marlana K.
    Marlana K. ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

First time Engage Attendee in September here is what I suggest

1. Plan out your day otherwise you may be overwhelmed
    2. Visit the venue before the sessions start so you know your way around
    3. Visit the "HUB" often, the various "stations" are a huge benefit
    4. Don't be afraid to speak up, I had some great debates
    5. Participate in everything and anything
    6. Wear comfortable shoes
    7. MAKE CONNECTIONS/Friends
    8. Most of all Enjoy yourself