PROBLEM WITH AUTOMATE CHECK BOX

I have a column with checkbox. The checkbox has a formula to automatically check when criteria is met from a different sheet. The formula and the checkbox work great.

But....I added a workflow so that when the checkbox is checked, to move that row to a different sheet, but the workflow is moving all the rows, not just the ones with a check. Anyone have a solution or insight?

Answers

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Unfortunately, there is no option to choose the specific columns to move/copy to another sheet.

You may choose to hide the extra columns or use an INDEX/MATCH formula to move the data.

Hope this helps

• Okey, I am trying to move rows, not columns.

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/30/23

Hi @chetg2000,

I have just amended a sheet I have added a check box called "Move Check" and added an automation task which should do what you would like. Please see the automation routine below.

This moves any row that has its checkbox changed to checked to a new sheet.

Hope this helps!

John

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭

Hi John,

I think the issue is you cannot move specific rows. The automation moves all rows that are checked. chetg2000 you can hide the rows you do not want to be viewed on the destination sheet. Or use a VLOOKUP or INDEX/MATCH formula (means you will use the unique identifier manually on the destination sheet).

• John, That is exactly how I set it up. But for some reason It moves ALL ROWS, not just the checked ones. I am wondering if it has something to do with the "move check" column having a formula that works off a separate sheet.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if there might be something strange going on. I was helping another user last night where their automation was triggering for all rows, not just the row that was checked. We haven't got to the bottom of that yet.

@chetg2000 would you be able to add a simple checkbox column called "move check 2" and set up an automation using that column, rather than the original "move check" that has formula in? That might narrow down where the issue is coming from. 🤞

• Okey
    Okey ✭✭✭✭
    edited 11/30/23

@chetg2000 the automation should move only the rows that are checked. Please ensure you are selecting the right column.

If it still doesn't work, try using a checkbox column with no formula. The automation may view the formula as a value (checked).

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!