Trying to put a value into a cell that is returned blank from formula.

I've created a column formula that returns a value from another column if it has a value in it; if that other column does NOT have a value, it returns a blank cell.

=IF(ISBLANK([Print Quantity (if known)]@row), "", [Print Quantity (if known)]@row)

The formula works just fine, but I want to be able to type in a value to the cell that came back blank. Is there a way to do that? I don't want to have to type into the cell being referenced (to populate the cell that returned blank) because it goes against the need for having two separate columns, which are needed.

Best Answer

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You cannot have a formula and manual entry within the same cell at the same time. My suggestion would be a "Manual Entry" column that you can type into when needed then in your above IF statement you can pull the manual if it isn't blank and the calculated if the manual is blank.

=IF([Manual Entry]@row <> "", [Manual Entry]@row, [Print Quantity (if known)]@row)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

You cannot have a formula and manual entry within the same cell at the same time. My suggestion would be a "Manual Entry" column that you can type into when needed then in your above IF statement you can pull the manual if it isn't blank and the calculated if the manual is blank.

=IF([Manual Entry]@row <> "", [Manual Entry]@row, [Print Quantity (if known)]@row)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

10xViz.com

• Thanks, @Paul Newcome ! That's what I thought. I do already have a manual entry column setup, so I see where you're going with this solution where it could then pull the most accurate data based on what's in each column. Thanks for this workaround.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/11/23

Happy to help. 👍️

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!