Can you link 2 lines by clicking on them?

Hello,

I'm trying to replace an Access database with Smartsheet. This would be tracking the company's overages and shortages.

I have an overs sheet and a shorts sheet.

I have a form to add new entries for each.

I have a report to show what it still currently open.

I have a dashboard for visuals.

But what I need to be able to do is to match a shortage line up to an overage line to clear them. I have auto number set up to give each line a unique identifier, and I need the shortage ID linked to the overage, and vise versa.

Is there a way to click each line and link them? Like on the Dashboard? I will have a team working these and I need it to be very user friendly.

The other part is that I need to have a residual balance if we clear some of a line but not all of it.

Here's what the Access database currently looks like.

The top portion allows a new entry, if there is a matching entry already entered we can click on it in the second section and it will link the overage and shortage. The unique identifiers are in the background data.

Is there any way I can replicate this so we can stop using Access?

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Jessica Reser regarding this question:

"Is there a way to click each line and link them? Like on the Dashboard? I will have a team working these and I need it to be very user friendly."

Dashboards aren't interactive, they're just visual displays.

You can get all the data on the same report if you have columns with the same name. Then you would have the ability to, for instance, type your unique ID for the shortage into a column for your matching overage. You could then use these links to match the lines between the pages.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!