Fuzzy Match in Smartsheet?

I'm wondering if anyone has developed a way to compare two text strings and return a similarity score? I know that Microsoft Excel/Power Query can do this, but I want to try to accomplish this in smartsheet and I haven't found discussion threads thus far. My use case is matching fuzzy data, for example "Google, Inc." would be a similar match to "Google, Co.", returning a higher score than the comparison of "ggle" and "Google, Co." I could set my own threshold for what I want to consider acceptable matches. Does anyone know if this is in the works?

Best Answer

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @dmui88 -- Smartsheet doesn't have any native features that would get you there, and I did the same searches you have regarding the Community threads and also the Product Ideas. There is a resounding silence -- I couldn't find anything. You could of course do this using Python (fuzzywuzzy module) and the API, but that's essentially not using Smartsheet. I would suggest that you submit the Product Idea and hope it gets traction, but in the near term, I think you will either have to use an external tool or use the API.

Answers

• Lucas Rayala
    Lucas Rayala ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @dmui88 -- Smartsheet doesn't have any native features that would get you there, and I did the same searches you have regarding the Community threads and also the Product Ideas. There is a resounding silence -- I couldn't find anything. You could of course do this using Python (fuzzywuzzy module) and the API, but that's essentially not using Smartsheet. I would suggest that you submit the Product Idea and hope it gets traction, but in the near term, I think you will either have to use an external tool or use the API.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!