How to deal with efforts

Hey all,

I'm new to Smartsheet. I've got a question around handling of efforts. I feel efforts is being discussed multiple times, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

Background: I'm planning the activities, with resources, their allocation and duration of the task. This leads to effort.

1) Is there are way to see the effort per activity?

2) Is there a way to see effort for overall project

3) Is there a way to see the resulting resource plan. Like roles/names on the left, days on top and the hours in each cell? (MS Project has this useful feature)

Thanks for helping.

Best regards,

Thorsten

Best Answer

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/23 Answer ✓

Hi @ThorstenMinnebusch,

ok, thanks for the background info!

For your use case RM might actually work, as you probably will not go down into the last detailed task in the projectplan. My warning was aiming at people trying to establish resource manangement as a management discipline by simply buying a tool.

RM: RM has its strengths in the management of workforce (like replacing assignments on the go, getting visuals of workload ahead and required expertise) and tracking budget with already prepared functionality.

Smartsheet: Smartsheet can do similar things but some functionality would need to be built by yourself, or some contractor (like adding columns for effort tracking ad counting in hours etc.). The strength of Smartsheet is collaboration and communication about the work to be done. This combined with a great automation engine for all the routine edits and communication can save tons of time.

Our SAP Cutover (i assume you are familiar with that term) customers (large enterprise) prefer to use Smartsheet as single point of truth for communication, updates etc. And they develop the cutover plan together with the project team beforehand so everybody agrees to the content and is well used to the interface.

Now coming back to the question about work to be done in Smartsheet and RM.

In RM you need to setup your organisation, people, cost rates, availability etc. as to be seen in the RM settings. As RM is people centered, you can assign a duplicate task to other people but not multiple people to the same task (opposed to Smartsheet). So the time for the finish date will not automatically be calculated by number of people and their assigned % of allocation. But entering time for tasks is totally easy and with the included reporting engine you could combine this numbers to your liking.

In Smartsheet you could create an additional column for the hours planned for a task and count those against data in another column with actuals. You could monitor those values with another column with symbols where a formula automatically assigns e.g. traffic sign colours. For calculation you could either use a report summarising those hours or money. And you could use another sheet connected to your first sheet via so called cross sheet formulas.

Hope that helps

Stefan

If you feel a direct chat would be better, you may contact me via eMail.

Smartsheet Consulting, Solution Building, Training and Support.

Projects for Processes and for People.

Answers

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/23

Hi @ThorstenMinnebusch,

while you could build something in Smartsheet easily for 1) and 2), 3) would require some work to make all of the desired information visible on one page.

But maybe you should consider using another product by Smartsheet, that seems to be a perfect match for your requirements? I'm talking about "Resource Management by Smartsheet" (RM), which can be run standalone or connected to Smartsheet. Standalone it's less detailed task management and other stuff doable in Smartsheet while concentrating on an easy to use high level view of resource allocation and cost control for projects.

Have a look here and most easily, look into the short video:

Hope this helps

Stefan

• thanks, @Stefan I signed up for Resource Management to check it out.

To evaluate and compare... How would I need to do to see this information in Smartsheet itself - and how? Could you help?

thanks, Thorsten

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @ThorstenMinnebusch,

to connect both apps (unsure if this works with trial) follow the steps described on this page:

Especially the one time authorisation needs an Smartsheet and RM admin.

Once done that, connect the project sheet to RM (same link as above) and you get a side panel with some (e.g. allocation and load) info from RM directly in your sheet. Changes to allocation and availability from both sides sync.

Warning (because complex): As Resource Management is less a technical thing and more an organisational effort, be aware that efficient RM typically require changes to the way projects are staffed etc. and also a person/role responsible for resource allocation. You also need to have the managed resources (people ;-) in Smartsheet and RM with the same email address and you need to be clear about the meaning of availability for project work vs. daily business... and more.

Sorry, just don't want you to see RM as a sidekick of Smartsheet.

Hope this helps

Stefan

• thanks a lot, @Stefan . Much appreciated. Admit being a bit puzzled now, but let's clarify

1) Any chance to answer any of my initial three questions in Smartsheet itself. What would need to be done - as you mentioned work involved.

2) Additionally I'm looking at RM. Considering your message, doesn't seem like an intuitive one. But planning to try.

Some Background for you: I'll be leading a global software implementation project starting january involving a large team. So I'm evaluating Smartsheet whether it would be fit for purpose. Hence, using the free version to test alongside early planning.

Any guidance on 1) appreciated, while I might proceed with 2)

thanks, Thorsten

• Stefan
    Stefan ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 12/18/23 Answer ✓

Hi @ThorstenMinnebusch,

ok, thanks for the background info!

For your use case RM might actually work, as you probably will not go down into the last detailed task in the projectplan. My warning was aiming at people trying to establish resource manangement as a management discipline by simply buying a tool.

RM: RM has its strengths in the management of workforce (like replacing assignments on the go, getting visuals of workload ahead and required expertise) and tracking budget with already prepared functionality.

Smartsheet: Smartsheet can do similar things but some functionality would need to be built by yourself, or some contractor (like adding columns for effort tracking ad counting in hours etc.). The strength of Smartsheet is collaboration and communication about the work to be done. This combined with a great automation engine for all the routine edits and communication can save tons of time.

Our SAP Cutover (i assume you are familiar with that term) customers (large enterprise) prefer to use Smartsheet as single point of truth for communication, updates etc. And they develop the cutover plan together with the project team beforehand so everybody agrees to the content and is well used to the interface.

Now coming back to the question about work to be done in Smartsheet and RM.

In RM you need to setup your organisation, people, cost rates, availability etc. as to be seen in the RM settings. As RM is people centered, you can assign a duplicate task to other people but not multiple people to the same task (opposed to Smartsheet). So the time for the finish date will not automatically be calculated by number of people and their assigned % of allocation. But entering time for tasks is totally easy and with the included reporting engine you could combine this numbers to your liking.

In Smartsheet you could create an additional column for the hours planned for a task and count those against data in another column with actuals. You could monitor those values with another column with symbols where a formula automatically assigns e.g. traffic sign colours. For calculation you could either use a report summarising those hours or money. And you could use another sheet connected to your first sheet via so called cross sheet formulas.

Hope that helps

Stefan

If you feel a direct chat would be better, you may contact me via eMail.

• Thanks a lot Stefan. Yeah, a call might be good.