Assigned To field to use Role field's value

Hi I have a 4 roles defined for each project's Sheet Summary and each role can be defined with one person in it. The 20 tasks within a project are always assigned to someone in the corresponding role.

So, i am trying to have each task's Assigned To field to take on the value of the roles on the Sheet Summary so as soon as a person is manually assigned to a role, the task's Assigned To field will be updated accordingly and other automation run depending on that value (like chaser and notification) - no need immediately trigger any workflow.

However, i cannot seem to be able to find any way of using formula to reference Sheet Summary fields. Please help or point me to any workaround. Many thanks in advance.

Answers

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @David Lau

I hope you're well and safe!

The Sheet Summary formula ends with #

Something like this.

=Test#

=[Test 1]#

Did that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Be safe, and have a fantastic weekend!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

• Hi Andree,

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried this but it does not work... Let me show you what i have done with the Sheet and its Sheet Summary placed side-by-side for you to visualize whether I have mistaken in any way following your advice.

Was there something I missed?

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@David Lau

Happy to help!

That should work. Ensure that there are no extra spaces or anything in the PSA column.

Also, what happens if you add the formula to a cell in the Task Name column? Same result?

Remember! Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up/Awesome or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!