How do you build your support documentation around Smartsheet in your Company ?

Options

Hello Everyone,

In my Company, we discovered the power of Smartsheet two years ago, and we are now using it as the main platform for our processes Digitalization. We have now a good community of Key users, many of them are really motivated to develop new solutions, but just a few are really concerned about support documentation (me included). By support documentation, I am not talking about how to use the solution, but how the solution was built, with a main focus on:

• Formulas and KPI
  • Automations

The issue is that it is hard for a new admin to understand the automations and the logic behind it.

I am very curious to see if in some other companies you are already further than us on this topic, and if you have already some good practices to share. Support doc is a pain, today we are using Google Doc / Slides for most of the documentation, but it's really time consuming and not standardized.

Which tools are you using to document your Smartsheet processes ?

which format are you using (video, slides, specific platform ?

Thanks for your support,

Raphaël

Comments

• Ryder
    Ryder ✭✭
    Options

We’ve recently started using “Camtasia” to record screen walk-throughs. Then set them up on SharePoint as short streams. Finally creating a dashboard of embedded training videos streams that feels smoother to navigate within smartsheets. Not perfect, but I like it better than static text docs and presentations.

• Trish Dillon
    Trish Dillon ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Similar to our project charters, we have a template to start and document each solution we create with a PowerPoint that shows the mapped workflows, the summary, and screenshots of the email notifications, formulas used, etc.

• MCorbin
    MCorbin Overachievers Alumni
    Options

Depends on the solution. The more complicated ones, I've mapped out in Visio. For others I'll create design documentation that explains the workflows and formulas (in Word)

• Raphael Lng
    Raphael Lng ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your answers ! after some reflexion, I think I will create a dashboard with screenrecording and additional explanations on the workflow, I am really not a fan of static tutorial as well.

I will have to prepare a workshop to train some key users on Smartsheet (build a form, build worfklow, build a report, etc). By any chance, do you know if a template exists in the Template center within Smartsheet, explaining all basics ? I tried to find something but the only one I found was the Formula Handbook, which is great but a step further compared to what I want to present them.

• BraylenStanton
    Options

To effectively document Smartsheet processes:

1. Use Smartsheet itself, Confluence, SharePoint, or Notion.

2. Formats: Written guides, video tutorials, interactive demos, and standardized templates.

3. Encourage collaboration and feedback from users to improve documentation clarity and completeness.