combine multiple columns but retain data in separate cells

Options

Hello,

we're collecting RSVPs for a large event and one invited guest can bring up to 4 other adults and 3 kids (this varies from one invited person to another).

I was asked to provide a list of all attendees A-Z in a single column as well as their meal choices. How can i combine all the names and meals into just two columns side by side ( i need each name to be in a separate cell with their meal next to it, so can't use JOIN or anything that puts data into a single cell)

this is the report i made from the sheet that gathers RVSPs. Thank you for suggestions!

Answers

• che.rabajante
    che.rabajante ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @OshaK

Can you confirm if the data was collected through a Smartsheet form submission? If so, retrieving only two specific columns might be challenging since each field in forms represents a separate column. However, if the data was directly inputted into the Smartsheet grid, establishing a parent-child row relationship could facilitate retrieving the desired two columns, such as 'Name' and 'Meal'.

Hope this helps!

che

• OshaK
    OshaK ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello @che.rabajante ,

thank you for your response and I'm sorry for a delay - i was OOO.

Yes, the data is collected via a RSVP form since the attendees need to let us know if they are attending and if they are bringing additional guests. We can manually adjust the data later in the sheet itself, but we were hoping to minimize the manual input.

So any suggestions would be appreciated!

thank you.

• Andrée Starå
    Andrée Starå ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @OshaK

I hope you're well and safe!

This might help.

I developed a solution using two forms (or the same form by using conditional logic) that can be used to submit the main information and then the other information on a new row for each submission after the first.

Would that work/help?

I hope that helps!

Have a fantastic week & Happy New Year!

Best,

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

Did my post(s) help or answer your question or solve your problem? Please support the Community by marking it Insightful/Vote Up, Awesome, or/and as the accepted answer. It will make it easier for others to find a solution or help to answer!

SMARTSHEET EXPERT CONSULTANT & PARTNER

Andrée Starå | Workflow Consultant / CEO @ WORK BOLD

W: www.workbold.com | E:andree@workbold.com | P: +46 (0) - 72 - 510 99 35

Feel free to contact me for help with Smartsheet, integrations, general workflow advice, or anything else.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!