Built a report: Columns populated by a smartsheet Form are showing blank in my Report

I am trying to add columns into a report that are populated by others in a smartsheet form, and that information is not showing up in my report. The cells are all blank

Answers

• RickyT
    RickyT ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you build the form in the same sheet? If you did it may just take a few min for the data to come over.

If not, the form has to be built in the sheet in the menu at the top.

Ricky T

Gov Contractor for USSF

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

@RickyT so first we built the form which I will call FormB, which produces responses into SheetB. Then, we created a Report from SheetA. Then we decided we want responses from SheetB to be in this report as well. So now at the top of the report, it says "2 sheets": SheetA & SheetB. All of the columns from SheetA are showing up correctly, but whenever i add columns from SheetB, they are blank

• RickyT
    RickyT ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any responses in sheet B?

Ricky T

Gov Contractor for USSF

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

yes there are multiple responses in sheet B, which we were hoping to show up on our Report

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

i think i see the problem, the common column that SheetB and SheetA have is not the Primary column in the report. If i make it the primary column i bet it would work. am I able to choose what the primary column is for a report?

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

if not, then i guess i have to do a vlookup for the common column, but im not sure how to do that in smartsheet

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

I see another problem, I just tried to create a new report from SheetA just to test it out. It chose the primary column for me as usual. Although it did choose the most appropriate column to be the primary, i noticed that some of the data is missing, there are some empty cells down the primary column. But when you go to the original sheet, there are no empty cells, all are occupied

• Hi @Abeezy

To clarify, Reports can show rows from multiple sheets, but each sheet has completely unique rows which means they will show up as unique rows in the Report. A Report does not combine sheet data into one row - does that make sense?

Check your Filter on the Report in case it's filtering out all the rows from Sheet B with the Form. You'll also want to ensure all the columns in both sheets have the same Name and are the say Type if you want data to appear in the same column in the Report.

Here's more information: SmartStart: Reporting

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Abeezy
    Abeezy ✭✭✭

Im going to attach some pictures because i dont think i am explaining my problem very well. So below, in the word doc, you can see SheetA, SheetB, and then the Report (which has both sheets connected to it). I have some things blacked out or whited out for privacy. You can see that the columns of Sheet A are showing up in the report properly. The last two columns in the screenshot of the report are from SheetB. You can see that all the rows in those columns are blank, they are not showing up properly. Does this have to do with the primary column not matching?

• Hi @Abeezy

Thank you for the screen captures!

In your image, it looks like all the rows in the Report at the top are coming from Sheet A - with purple dates. Therefore the columns from Sheet B on those same rows will be blank, since those columns don't exist on Sheet B.

For example, if my Sheet A is blue with these three columns:

And my Sheet B is purple with the same "Task Name" column but two other columns with different names:

Then when I create a Report from these two sheets, the rows are kept as individual rows.

The white cells in my image above are greyed out when I click on them because those cells don't exist for that specific row: I cannot add data into the Status column or the Star column on a row that's associated with Sheet A, since those columns don't exist underneath in Sheet A. I can only add data on rows that have "Sheet B" in the Sheet Name column.

Can you check the Sheet Name column in your report until you find a row (likely at the bottom) that has your second sheet's name listed? I expect if you scroll over you'll see blank data in the initial columns (e.g "health check sent on") but then the rest of your data will appear in the additional columns.

If you want your Report to show you all data for each Customer Name, you can try using the Group feature to group those rows together under a header:

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now