Creating a chart, based on tasks per date

Hi all!

Grateful for any help that can be offered.

I have sheet that is a simple list of tasks. One row per task, with a created date column. There's other columns such as status, assigned to etc etc.

Can someone please help me with creating a chart from this? I want a bar chart which shows number of new tasks per day.

The x axis of the chart should contain all possible dates, from the 1st January 2024 as I want to be able to visualise days where number of tasks = 0.

Any suggestions, links to documents etc would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks, Johnny.

Tags:

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You would create a second sheet that has every date listed in a single column. You would then use a COUNTIFS with a cross sheet reference to the created date column of the first sheet to count how many dates in that range are equal to the date column "@row" in your second sheet.

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• Hi Paul, Many thanks for this. Great, so like creating a calendar table in PowerBi or similar.

Last question to get me started - is there a function for creating a series of dates from a given date?

Thanks again! :-)

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There are a number of ways to automate date creation from a start date. The complexity increases with the need for flexibility, but the basic idea would be a column that is manually filled with the numbers zero through however many days, weeks, etc. that you need (copy/paste/drag-fill gets thousands of rows populated pretty quickly) then a formula (that can vary based on your specific needs) that will output the date based on the start date and incrementing as needed.

If daily, you could put the start date in a Sheet Summary field and use something like this as a column formula:

=[Start Date]# + [Number Column]@row

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!