Insert todays date on a project plan start date column

Options

Hi,

I use blueprint control center to replicate the templated project plan for every project that we approve. I want to automate the start of this project plan by entering the date it was created as the initial starting date for the first task. My plan is full of predecessors, so once the initial date is inserted in the correct row, the entire plan will be full of dates that need to be met. Is there a way to make the start date of a singular row pull the "today" date in? I will note the project plan setting are enables and this is the start date column within in the settings.

Best Answer

• Matt___New_Era_Tech
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @swaldon2,

While formulas are disabled for these cells, cell linking should still function. I just ran a test with project settings enabled and it came through without issue. Happy to set up 30 minutes for us to talk through this issue together if you would like!

Best,

Matthew Strehler | Senior Solutions Consultant

New Era Technology

Matthew.Strehler@NewEraTech.com | neweratech.com

Answers

• Matt___New_Era_Tech
    Options

Hi @swaldon2,

This would definitely be possible using an automation to record the date that the project is provisioned (or any other key date that would signify the project kicking off). From there, you would need to map the data from your intake into your Metadata sheet and then ultimately to your project plan first row.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to me at matthew.strehler@neweratech.com and we can set up a quick 30-minute call to walk through it.

Best,

New Era Technology

• swaldon2
    swaldon2 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Matt___New_Era_Tech, you are unable to link to the to the project plan date columns when the project settings are activated. How would I go around this?

• Matt___New_Era_Tech
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi @swaldon2,

While formulas are disabled for these cells, cell linking should still function. I just ran a test with project settings enabled and it came through without issue. Happy to set up 30 minutes for us to talk through this issue together if you would like!

Best,

New Era Technology

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!