Count totals in an entire colummn with Checkboxed value

Linda Xie
Linda Xie ✭✭
edited 01/17/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a file with a column containing values with the Orange color selected in the checkbox showing as below.  I want to get the total counts to count the Orange colored ones only (e.g.4 out 6). The formula I tried to use is: =Countif({boxcolum name}:{boxcolum name},1) or =Count({boxcolum name}:{boxcolum name} but only got returned invalid values from either formula. 

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Linda

Answers

• John Shane
    John Shane ✭✭✭✭

@Linda Xie

Are you trying to do this on the sheet summary? If so, square brackets around your column name should fix the problem. The formula below should work once you replace Column Name with the name of your column.

=COUNTIF([Column Name]:[Column Name], 1)

Cheers,

John

• Linda Xie
    Linda Xie ✭✭
    edited 01/17/24

Hi John,

I used COUNTIF same as your formula above by referencing another sheet as: =Countif({boxcolum name}:{boxcolum name},1) but got an error result. 

Yes,the formula =COUNTIF([Column Name]:[Column Name], 1) worked with the Sheet Summary but it needs to take some extra steps to link the value from the Sheet Summary into another sheet, which I really try to avoid. 

I just want to figure out how the checkbox formula works by referencing another sheet. Any idears?

Thanks,

Linda

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!