Counting Occurrences During Date Range

I have a roster of temporary workers that come in on different days and leave on different days. I need to calculate expected hotel nights by counting the number of workers who will be in the city on each day. I'm at a loss on how to do that. I really just need to know how many hotel nights to expect to need each month (1 room/person/night).

Answers

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Are you able to provide screenshots of your source data for context (sample data will work).

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

• RBro79
    RBro79 ✭✭✭✭

Here's an example of the report I'm using. What I'm doing manually is counting how many folks are here on each day. What I want is to spit out how many people are here each day for a month (5 EEs x 10 days = 50 hotel nights, for example). I don't know if I can do this with a sheet summary or some other way. We have an enterprise account with pivot table functionality, but I haven't played with that yet.

• Paul Newcome
    Paul Newcome ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would suggest a separate sheet where you list every date you want to display down a single date type column. Then you would use a COUNTIFS with cross sheet references that looks something along the lines of:

=COUNTIFS({Start Date}, @cell<= [Date Column]@row, {End Date}, @cell>= [Date Column]@row)

Come see me in Seattle at ENGAGE 2024! I will be at the 10xViz partner booth throughout as well as the "Lets Talk About Community" Meet & Eat table on Tuesday from 11:45am - 12:45pm!

CERTIFIED SMARTSHEET PLATINUM PARTNER

10xViz.com

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!