"Ask for an Update" not bringing in Contact List name

Options

I have a column that is a Contact List. The list is correct, and everyone's email address is in there.

I also have a automation for an update that would include the recipient having to enter/update the person in the contact list column. That part is working fine. But when the recipient submits the update the name is just submitted as a name (without an email address), not the contact, which messes up other automation.

Is there anyway to fix this, other than manually going in after every submission and changing it?

Answers

• Jeff Reisman
    Jeff Reisman ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@LDP

When I have to collect Contact List entries from a form, I collect them in a regular text/number "Email" column and then use a formula in the Contact List column that brings in the value from the Email column. So the user enters "Jeff@Email.com" in the Email field, and in the underlying sheet, the Contact List column has a column formula of =Email@row. This saves the email address as the Contact List entry, which appears in the sheet as "Jeff Reisman".

It's a workaround, but it works!

Regards,

Jeff Reisman

Link: Smartsheet Functions Help Pages Link: Smartsheet Formula Error Messages

If my answer helped solve your issue, please mark it as accepted so that other users can find it later. Thanks!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!