INDEX MATCH ISSUE WHEN SORTING CHANGES

pris
pris ✭✭✭✭
edited 01/26/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet that is our SOURCE sheet that holds all training data. I have other sheets that serve as data reporting and attendance tracking. On our SOURCE datasheet, I created an automated number ROW ID that starts with 00001 and increases as new trainings are added. I want to pull certain details from the main training sheet into other sheets using the ROW ID with the formula =INDEX({Source Program}, MATCH([Row ID]@row, {Source Row ID}), 0) Which works fine if the trainings stay in the exact order of ROW ID. 00001, 00002, 00003... but because training are constantly being added throughout the year, we reorder based on start dates and that means that the ROW IDs do not remain sequential. When we reorder it will give the wrong information and I noticed its the same wrong information regardless of the ROW ID entered when they are sorted by anything other than ROW ID. But I thought that using the index match pulls the data from the ROW the Row ID is assigned to, not the order it is in. AM I MISSING SOMETHING? It is driving me mad, it isn't realistic that the ROW IDs will remain sequential since we are constantly adding. Is the issue that I am using an automated number? I just can't figure it out.

Best Answer

Answers

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!