How to find date having the highest sum when multiple entries per day in a list

Options

I have a running list which collects values submitted by a form. There are multiple users that can submit the form multiple times per day to record a value . I am trying to find a formula which finds the highest summed value for any one day. In this case, the higher the value submitted the worse it is, so I am trying to find the "worst day" out of all entries. Any help provided is truly appreciated.

Best Answer

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    =SUMIF({# redacted alerts triaged},{date triaged},Date@row)

Try to use this on another sheet -

Col 1 = Running Date, from 1/1/24 on wards

Col 2 = The formula

Anything in curly brackets are the references to the Source column. This should you get the sum for each days.

Answers

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 01/30/24
    Options
    =SUMIF(Value:Value,Date:Date,Date@row)

You might need a separate sheet for this one. Or use the sheet summary. If that is the case, you will have to change the last arguement Date@row

• CBRNDLREZI
    Options

Thank you for responding HeyJay, I tried to use that formula + sheet summary, however I could not get it to work. I am including a screen shot of my sheet (column with submitter's name isn't shown). I am trying to find the day that had the highest sum of all the alerts triaged on that day. If I do that, I can index match the sum value from there (I think). Note: The grey columns are helpers for a reference metrics sheet that I use to collect info. I could add rows for all 365 days to the metric sheet, sum the values for each and then it would be easy to find the max value. I am just trying to avoid that or using pivot by having a formula.

• heyjay
    heyjay ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    =SUMIF({# redacted alerts triaged},{date triaged},Date@row)

Try to use this on another sheet -

Col 1 = Running Date, from 1/1/24 on wards

Col 2 = The formula

Anything in curly brackets are the references to the Source column. This should you get the sum for each days.

• CBRNDLREZI
    Options

Thank you HeyJay

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!