Generate an AutoNumber based on "Yes" being selected in a drop down

Options

This formula seems to be in error - I get #UNPARSEABLE

=IF([MY FIELD NAME] = "Yes", AUTONUMBER(), "")

It would be even better if I could create the number when a checkmark is selected in another column.

EDIT: I am trying this for the checkbox:

=IF([MY FIELD NAME]@row, AUTO_NUMBER(), "")

My field format is Text/Number

Best Answer

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did have an answer typed out that said you were missing the result in your expression and needed to add = 1 but then I tested it and it worked without. So I learned something new as well!

Answers

• Mr. Chris
    Mr. Chris ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hello,

You will likely need to add an additional column that has the properties of "Auto Number".

With the Auto Number established the following formula will preform as it should:

=IF([MY FIELD NAME]@row = 1, [Auto Number]@row, "")

• Jeff Chamberlain
    edited 02/01/24
    Options

OK - based on your feedback and some research, it looks like my problem is I can't have more than one auto number per sheet. That is a huge gap that Excel doesn't suffer from.

So if I want to do a work around - I tried to append my current AutoNumber field with "-MRC". My expected behavior would be, check the box, then a value would show up in this new field. I created a new text/number field and entered the following:

=IF([Requires MRC Number]@row, [Case Number]@row & "-MRC", "")

I still get the #UNPARSEABLE message.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Jeff Chamberlain

The symbol to join text or cell strings in smartsheet is + not &

Try

=IF([Requires MRC Number]@row, [Case Number]@row + "-MRC", "")

• Jeff Chamberlain
    Options

Thanks - it also appears as if I was not identifying that the box was checked with this:

=IF([Requires MRC Number]@row = 1,

I'm relearning formulas here and making some basic mistakes. thanks for your input.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I did have an answer typed out that said you were missing the result in your expression and needed to add = 1 but then I tested it and it worked without. So I learned something new as well!

• Jeff Chamberlain
    Options

Interesting - I might retry it.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!