Is there a way to auto generate a new row in the same sheet if a criteria is met in a specific cell?

Options

Hi I'm trying to see if there is a way to auto-generate a row in the same sheet based on criteria met in the previous row? To add another layer to the question, is it possible to have the auto-generated row be a copy of a pre-set sample row in the sheet?

I'm still new to smartsheet and there may be an even easier way to do what i'm trying to get accomplished but I appreciate any help.

Answers

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee Admin
    edited 02/02/24
    Options

Hi @mpabon

You can copy rows from one sheet to another with an automated workflow (see here Work with the copy rows action), however there currently isn't a way to automatically copy a row in the same sheet.

What you could do is use a Workflow to copy the current row to another sheet when it meets your criteria.

Then in that second sheet, set up a another workflow to then copy the row back into the main source sheet when a row is added. This will create a duplicate of the current row at the bottom of your sheet. You'll just need to make sure you're not creating an infinite loop, as the workflow will deactivate automatically if that happens. Depending on your criteria, we may need to set up a Date Based workflow instead of it being triggered by a specific change.

Let me know if that's what you were looking to do!

Cheers,

Genevieve

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!