Inventory Management Help

Options

Hi Samrtsheets Community,

I am looking at using Smartsheets to manage all of the furniture inventory that we have for photoshoots. I would like to add either bar codes or QR codes to all of the inventory. When someone scans an item, it opens a form that already have the item number, picture of the item, description all ready filled in. All they have to do is select why they are checking the item out and when they plan on checking the item back in. In order to do this, do I need to create unique bar codes or QR codes for every item? If so, what is the best way to go about doing that?

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Anthony DAmbrosio

A barcode is essentially just a number that is displayed using a barcode font. You can generate your own barcodes by typing any numbers and converting them to a series of black stripes by changing the font to a barcode font (which you can download).

• Anthony DAmbrosio
    Options

@KPH thank you for commenting on my post. I understand how to create a bar code or QR code. I apologies if my question was not clear. I am trying to understand if I need to create individual or unique bar codes or QR codes for all pieces of furniture. Again, I would like for them to scan a person scan a piece of furniture and a form opens. The following fields would be populated; item number, picture of the item, and description. All they have to do is select why they are checking the item out and when they plan on checking the item back in.

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You will need one unique code for each unique thing you want to do. So if the code is tied to the item number you will need one code per item number.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!