Can I Autofill a column with a formulaic value, like the duration column does?

Options

So, I was recently introduced to Smartsheets and am trying to reproduce the editable autofilling functionality of the Duration column in the sample sheet I was given.

I've written a formula to A) check if a row has descendents, and if so, B) define the status of the current row based on the status of the descendents. None of that's terribly important to the story, except that it can't be turtles all the way down; at some point, there will be a row that isn't a parent, and thus needs to be editable manually. When I was writing the formula, I thought that would be easy, because that functionality is already in place in the Duration column in the sample sheet. Alas, I can't seem to find how to make it happen.

Thanks!

Answers

• Jason Tarpinian
    Jason Tarpinian ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, it's either all or nothing. You can either have a column formula, or lock rows with specific formulas. A workaround could be to use a helper column, and in your column formula say something like, if there's a value in this cell, display that, else do the normal formula. Depending on the setting, this has worked for me a few times.

Jason Tarpinian - Sevan Technology

Smartsheet Aligned Partner

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!