New to Smartsheet add number to date in new column.

Options
Kaibutsu
Kaibutsu
edited 02/02/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have an Approval Date column, and an Approval Cycle column. The approval cycle column is a dropdown of varied numbers. The third column should take the date from Approval Date and add the Approval Cycle number to the year. This is what is in there...

=[Approval Date]@row + [Approval Cycle]@row

But it's just adding it as an extension of the date number, so it's showing as 02/14/202412 rather than adding the 12 to the year. I'm a little perplexed on the formatting and fully admit my neophyte status on the formatting. Any help would be appreciated.

Update, I was playing with it and now it's adding it to the day rather than tagging it at the end of the year. Some progress, but I still appear to be missing something.

=[Approval Date]@row + [Approval Cycle]@row

Thanks!

Answers

• John_Foster
    John_Foster ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hi @Kaibutsu,

I would use the following formula, which extracts the sections of the date from your date field and then puts them back together.

=DATE(YEAR([Approval Date]@row) + [Approval Cycle]@row, MONTH([Approval Date]@row), DAY([Approval Date]@row))

Hope this helps!

John

• Kaibutsu
    Options

Entirely my fault for not putting something else in here. That formula worked perfectly, so thank you for that. The Approval Cycle column is supposed to be in months, so, say the next approval date is six months from now, or 1 to 2 years from the date. It's adding the Approval Cycle to the year, so that's perfect, but I am unsure how to make the formula understand that the column is months rather than years. Thank you again for the help. I really appreciate it.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!