Use a formula for subtraction between two columns

Hello,

Unable to find the answer to assist with my formula query, i would like to simply calculate 'Contract value' & subtract 'Current spend' to get 'Remaining value'. I've tried multiple options and keep getting errors, so appreciate any assistance as i believe it should be quite easy....

Best Answer

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Megan.elh

Please see if this returns the value you expect:

=[Contract value]@row - [Current spend]@row

Column names that contain spaces must be entered in square brackets. Smartsheet will do that for you when you type the equal sign, then select the first cell of the equation, type the minus sign, and select the next cell.

Entered on the row you wish to calculate. It can be converted to a column formula by right clicking the cell and selecting "Convert to Column Formula".

Hope this helps!

Answers

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Megan.elh

Please see if this returns the value you expect:

=[Contract value]@row - [Current spend]@row

Column names that contain spaces must be entered in square brackets. Smartsheet will do that for you when you type the equal sign, then select the first cell of the equation, type the minus sign, and select the next cell.

Entered on the row you wish to calculate. It can be converted to a column formula by right clicking the cell and selecting "Convert to Column Formula".

Hope this helps!

• Hi @ker9

I appreciate you writing back to me so quickly. Initially i couldn't get this formula to work on my sheet either, however i kept persisting and it now works, thank you so much!!

• ker9
    ker9 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Megan.elh

It's possible your Remaining Value column was not setup as text, perhaps as date instead?

Either way, glad you got it working.

• Megan.elh
    Megan.elh
    edited 02/15/24

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!