Autonumbering limitation

I have a column in my sheet named "case number" which is an AutoNumber. For my use case, I will occasionally need to escalate a case to another department and I need to create a reference number compatible with their system, lets call it a "XYZ number". I would like to check a box and have this number generated, i.e. XYZ-0001, XYZ-0002, etc for each time I escalate.

Note, not all cases are escalated, and created a value off the case number isn't really logical. So is it me, or is it a horrible design flaw that each sheet is limited to a single AutoNumber? What kind of work arounds has this group done to maybe get something like this going?

Answers

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers
    edited 02/07/24

@Jeff Chamberlain It would be nice if there were additional auto number columns, you should definitely suggest that as a new idea. What I would do in this situation, is copy the row to a different sheet with a different autonumber setup, then reference the new autonumber back to the original sheet with cross sheet references and an index match formula.

• I appreciate the insight, but unfortunately that is a bit too complicated for this use. I would then have to add another sheet to reference both sheets. Seems like a powerful tool like SmartSheet should take a clue from Excel and allow for something like this.

• Samuel Mueller
    Samuel Mueller Overachievers

Fair enough. It would be a pretty straightforward solution to set up, but yes you would need to add a couple references to the new sheet to bring back the new autonumber value.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!