VLOOKUP vs INDEX MATCH

Options
David Noël
David Noël ✭✭✭✭
edited 02/07/24 in Formulas and Functions

Confused! I have a sheet that has a checkbox column (Start). I want another sheet to reference that sheet, look at the Task ID Column and see if Start is checked on that line, if so, check the Start box on the "other" sheet. The formula below is on the "other" sheet in the Start checkbox column.

=IF(VLOOKUP([Task ID]@row, {Analyst Support Request - Task ID}, 1, false), ({Analyst Support Request - Start}, = 1) 1, 0)

This is the formula on the "other" sheet and is not working. What am I missing?

Best Answer

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would probably use the following as a column formula in the checkbox column that you want to update based on your other sheet:

=IF(INDEX({Analyst Support Request - Start}, MATCH([Task ID]@row, {Analyst Support Request - Task ID}, 0))=1, 1, 0)

This should search for the matching Task ID in the other row, and if the Start column is checked, it will check the box in the column where this formula is pasted.

Hope this helps!:)

Answers

• brianschmidt
    brianschmidt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I would probably use the following as a column formula in the checkbox column that you want to update based on your other sheet:

=IF(INDEX({Analyst Support Request - Start}, MATCH([Task ID]@row, {Analyst Support Request - Task ID}, 0))=1, 1, 0)

This should search for the matching Task ID in the other row, and if the Start column is checked, it will check the box in the column where this formula is pasted.

Hope this helps!:)

• David Noël
    David Noël ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Perfect, thank you!!

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!