I would like to know if there is any way to group values from a column in a cell

Options

Hi guys

Could you help me with a very specific case?

I would like to know if there is any way to group values from a column in a cell

Example: In my column "A" I have values X, Y and Z.... I would like to group these values in a cell every time I find a related value in another column, as in the formula index + Match, but be able to index all the values in the column when I match specified values. Is this possible?

Best Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi

I think a JOIN/COLLECT formula might work for it. It will JOIN together into one cell all the data that meets the COLLECT criteria. If you can share a screenshot of your sheets and explain the intended outcome we may be able to provide further guidance.

There is guidance on JOIN and COLLECT here

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Victor - Would you like to try this solution to solve your clarification:

Try using the JOIN function to group values from a column into a single cell. Here's how you can do it:

Select the cell where you want the grouped values to appear.

Enter the formula. Type =JOIN(delimiter, range) into the cell, where:

delimiter is the character or string you want to use to separate the values (e.g., comma, space, semicolon).range is the range of cells in the column you want to group. You can select the range manually or use a reference to the column (e.g., A:A for the entire column A).

Press Enter to apply the formula.

For Instance, if you have a column of values in column A (A1:A5) that you want to group with commas as the delimiter, you would enter =JOIN(", ", A1:A5) into the cell where you want the grouped values to appear.

This formula will concatenate all the values in the specified range, separated by the specified delimiter, into a single cell

Thanks

Keep us posted if this helps !!

Huma

Community Leader

Answers

• KPH
    KPH ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi

I think a JOIN/COLLECT formula might work for it. It will JOIN together into one cell all the data that meets the COLLECT criteria. If you can share a screenshot of your sheets and explain the intended outcome we may be able to provide further guidance.

There is guidance on JOIN and COLLECT here

• Humashankar
    Humashankar ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi Victor - Would you like to try this solution to solve your clarification:

Try using the JOIN function to group values from a column into a single cell. Here's how you can do it:

Select the cell where you want the grouped values to appear.

Enter the formula. Type =JOIN(delimiter, range) into the cell, where:

delimiter is the character or string you want to use to separate the values (e.g., comma, space, semicolon).range is the range of cells in the column you want to group. You can select the range manually or use a reference to the column (e.g., A:A for the entire column A).

Press Enter to apply the formula.

For Instance, if you have a column of values in column A (A1:A5) that you want to group with commas as the delimiter, you would enter =JOIN(", ", A1:A5) into the cell where you want the grouped values to appear.

This formula will concatenate all the values in the specified range, separated by the specified delimiter, into a single cell

Thanks

Keep us posted if this helps !!

Huma

Community Leader

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!