Convert a text to value number

Options

Hi, I'm trying to convert the answers that I got from a survey to a value that I can calcul after.

Example : 13 people answer : 4 (agree) 5 (disagree) 2 (no aswer

I would like to convert "agree" to value of 5 points, "disagree" for 1 points, "no answer" for 0 points.

Please what should I do... Thank you :)

Answers

• JamesB
    JamesB ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Ly-Xu Ngo You can create fields in the sheet summary area and use a countif formula to calculate your results.

=Countif([Column Name]:[Column Name],"4 (agree)")*5

=Countif([Column Name]:[Column Name],"2 (no answer)")*1

etc...

Then if needed, you can pull this data into a report.

• Ryan Kramer
    Ryan Kramer ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 02/13/24
    Options

Hi there,

To convert the survey answers to values, you can follow these steps:

Create a new column next to the survey answers column, and name it "Converted Values".

In the first cell of the "Converted Values" column, use a formula to convert "agree" to 5 points, "disagree" to 1 point, and "no answer" to 0 points. For example, if the survey answers are in column A, you can use the following formula in cell B2: =IF(A2="agree", 5,IF(A2="disagree", 1,0))

This formula checks the value in cell A2 and assigns a corresponding value based on the condition.

Drag the formula down to apply it to all the cells in the "Converted Values" column.

Now, you will have the converted values corresponding to each survey answer. You can use these values for calculation purposes.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Ryan Kramer

Have you backed up your solution lately? https://www.smartsheetbackups.com/

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!