Using formulas with images in cells

Steven Sawyer
Steven Sawyer Overachievers
edited 02/15/24 in Formulas and Functions

I have a sheet that has a column with an image in each cell. In another sheet I want to do an Index(Match()) and find the image and pull it into my new sheet. I get the alt text to return. Does anyone know how to get the image to appear? Different formula? Different column type?

Best Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This isn't possible, forget about it and move on with your day.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Steven Sawyer

As @BullandKhmer mentioned, it isn't currently possible to pull an image in a cell from one sheet into another by using a formula. You could Copy a row which will copy the image, or you could use a Report to display content from two separate sheets together if that helps. Another option could be to house the image in another location (such as Google Drive) and use the Index(match to pull through the URL to that location instead.

Can you explain a bit more about your process? We may be able to come up with a different set-up or solution to achieve your end-goal.

Please also feel free to submit your formula feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

Answers

• BullandKhmer
    BullandKhmer ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This isn't possible, forget about it and move on with your day.

• Genevieve P.
    Genevieve P. Employee
    Answer ✓

Hey @Steven Sawyer

As @BullandKhmer mentioned, it isn't currently possible to pull an image in a cell from one sheet into another by using a formula. You could Copy a row which will copy the image, or you could use a Report to display content from two separate sheets together if that helps. Another option could be to house the image in another location (such as Google Drive) and use the Index(match to pull through the URL to that location instead.

Can you explain a bit more about your process? We may be able to come up with a different set-up or solution to achieve your end-goal.

Please also feel free to submit your formula feature request to the Product team by creating an Idea Post in the Smartsheet Product Feedback and Ideas topic here in the Community.

Cheers,

Genevieve

Join us at Smartsheet ENGAGE 2024 🎉
    October 8 - 10, Seattle, WA | Register now

• Steven Sawyer

@BullandKhmer this is both absolutely correct, it would seem, and also completely unhelpful. But thanks for the laugh.

• Steven Sawyer

@Genevieve P. thanks for the workaround ideas. This is a one off report request. We normally get image cells linked with control center and that meets our needs. I’m going to try the copy row idea. I think that’s the winner in this case. And I’ll submit the feature request… we really should be able to get images with a formula. Thanks.

Help Article Resources

Want to practice working with formulas directly in Smartsheet?

Check out the Formula Handbook template!